This is a demo post exploring the different styles in the block editor (codenamed "Gutenberg"). This is just a development post - we haven't yet released this publicly.
Check it out:
This is an H2
Most of your content should be contained in H2 subheadings.
In version 4.0.0 and later, body font-sizes have been standardized across all themes at 16px. Headings have been standardized using "em", meaning a multiple of the 16px body-font size.
For more details, see this blog post.
This is an H3
H3 can be used to sub-categorize your content under H2 headings. You typically won't need to use these when making recipes posts.
This is an H4
H4 is relatively uncommon, except in technical documentation. As a food blogger, anything you consider using for H4 should be either bumped up to H3, or simple paragraph text.
This is an H5
No real application for this outside of technical and legal documents.
This is an H6
Why even bother at this point?
Simple Image Block
New Gallery Block
Galleries are new to the block editor, removing the need for plugins. The captions are relatively simple to create.
Testing will be needed to see what sizes are loaded for various devices (desktop, tablet, mobile). Mobile is the most important, making up approximately 75% of pageviews for most food blogs in 2018 and on.
Too many images can slow down your page.
Quick and Easy French Toast
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon ground
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 slices of bread
- Beat egg, vanilla and cinnamon in shallow dish. Stir in milk.
- Dip bread in egg mixture, turning to coat both sides evenly.
- Cook bread slices on lightly greased nonstick griddle or skillet on medium heat until browned on both sides.
Unordered lists helps you list out items in no particular order, such as when listing ingredients.
- This is an unordered list block
- This is the second item in the list
- Use unordered lists to create lists in which the sequence isn't important
Order lists are used to list out a sequence of items, such as instructions.
- This is an ordered list block
- It's good to itemize sequential steps or items in an ordered list
- Using lists to break up your content and make it easier to parse is a good user-experience practice
The Feast Plugin contains an enhancement to convert text-based characters to fractions, so that you get ½ instead of 1 / 2 and ¼ instead of 1 / 4.
Blockquotes are a great way to emphasize an important piece of your content.
You can also turn the blockquote into a citation by providing a "citation". This is a great way to reference content on another site.Edgar Allan Poe
This is a "cover" block - an image block with text overlay